Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Death and After

In my last post I said:
Our greatest evangelistic tool may (should?) be the fact of death and what happens after. What happens to the human after death? There aren't many options, and most of them deny ultimate human significance.
So what are the options?
  1. That's it. When we die, we die. We bury (or otherwise dispose of) the remains. Any living on is the legacy and whatever we leave behind, for good or bad.
  2. Reincarnation. We come back in some form, usually tied to how we've lived in this life.
  3. Some sort of spirit life. I'm not sure what to make of this, as I've not heard much about it.
  4. Resurrection. We receive new bodies, similar to, but better than our old ones. Life is lived in God's presence with others who are acceptable to him.
  5. Don't know. I'll hope for the best.
Did I miss any? If so, please leave comments and I'll add them for future discussion. For those of you who are following this on some level, how do you react to these options? If you are a believer/follower of Jesus Christ, which are options that you believe? If you are not a believer/follower, which options do you believe? Why?

Next post - start talking about each of these options in more detail.

1 comment:

  1. Stephen,
    Good thoughts on both this post and the one following.
    Don't many Jews believe that "eternal life" is found in one's descendants? My individual life ends but is somehow continued as my children carry on my legacy -- especially if that legacy is a godly one. Some psalms could imply this, like one I read this morning, Psalm 102:23-28.
    What are your thoughts on this?
    Pastor Glenn

    ReplyDelete